Saturday, February 28, 2009

Don't bus your horn

Last night at Ayala, Edsa as I was descending the flight of stairs at the MRT station there was a deafening concerted horning by the buses beelined along the road with them having made a terminal out of the stretch of the fenced partition under the MRT station.

I'm not one to easily stereotype people as belonging to a particular group of lowlifes and pricks but these drivers are beginning to sway me from my close-to-wavering stance.

What's up with these bus drivers blowing their horns simultaneously as if they were in an orchestra with their decibel uncalibrated horns as instruments? Well educated drivers know that the use of horns should be reserved in situations that dearly call for it. Why, it is almost rude to be blowing the horns for the heck of it. I remember my Dad when he was still driving as being overly cautious that he would press the horn everytime he took a turn. He said he did it to signal to the kids playing across the street that a vehicle was just up and about the corner. Pretty soon my dad realised that just as cellphones need to be turned off in churches or any public place where silence is a premium so is the need to keep the blowing of horns to a minimum neccessary in keeping with courtesy.

This brings us back to the bus drivers who were in a logjam beelined along Edsa. There were no MMDAs around so they took their time converting that stretch to a virtual terminal. I tried to find me a bus but the deafening horns made me retreat up to Dusit

No comments: