Friday, August 22, 2008

so close to the olympics

I am back here in China. Us at work routinely go here to support " offsite " our product. What can I say, over the past three years I've come and gone the same old sour feeling creeps in everytime I find myself holed up here in what my fellow co-workers have infamously dubbed as " the prison camp". It is a running joke that being assigned in this far flung province is synonymous to being sent to boot camp.

I am not about to whine about the poor condition at work cause there just isn't any .... it isn't that. Actually, working with fellow Chinese counterparts brings about a heightened sense of professionalism which is just what the doctor ordered after stretches of toiling hard and long at work at the office back home. Getting the chance to travel overseas and stay in a hotel and soak in the Chinese culture somehow promotes a sense of pride which we every so often lose track of. So why the grumbling? One has to actually experience firsthand what it is like to be casted-off in a province so oppositely mirroring urbanisation to understand the deep-seated abhorrence of us who've stayed for one too many an assignment bear.

Picture this, prior to having KFC, the best fastfood the town could offer was a poor imitation of the famous chicken place. The laughable commercial name it took, KMC, screams " I am imitation ". What M stands for, I'll never know cause the place closed shop when KFC came to town just over a year ago.

No comments: