Tuesday, July 22, 2008

lost in Hong Kong 2

The FOREX was within the arriving passenger's premises but within view of the people waiting outside. I exchanged my money according to my officemate's instructions and it was my first verbal interaction with a Hong Konger(the immigration officer didn't count cause it was mostly look at my passport-look at my face interaction) but I didn't quite hear what she said after I asked for a split of my USD to RMB and HKD. I asked "come again?" In response she blurted or should I say blurred her speech once more. It didn't sound like she was soliciting for a reply, it was more of probably explaining a procedure/technicality so I just gave her a calculated nod. I moved further back away from the peering eyes and counted the money, hidden from view, behind an automated train ticket dispensing machine. Trains are an integral part of public transportation in HK. A first time HK traveler is better served choosing the train system to get him around the city than taxis or buses. Majority of HK's famous spots are accessible via their MRT/train system.

I made my way outside sporting the seasoned traveler look: poker faced, looking in one sure direction, walking slightly faster, not paying attention to the placards and not hearing any of the chants for Mr Wong, Mr Wei, Mr Chinese. I walked further straight up my landmark, as per my officemate's instructions, being the train station(inside the airport) to my right. I did see it but didn't bother cause it is but an option. For those who want to get the most out of their HKD they can also take the bus since the bus fare is a very cheap 1/3 that of the train's. I chose to take the bus not because I'm short of money but because it takes me just a walking distance from the hotel as opposed to the train whose drop off point is still a good taxi ride away. The airport train offers free shuttle service to all the major hotels in Hong Kong, mine included, but it ceases operation past 10pm.

It was 11pm, I was still walking and now marveling at the splendid airport HK has. A large part of the building was made using glass materials and silver beams. The building is well lit and tidy. It looks newly built. There is a a huge area inside the airport for the passengers' friends and relatives to while their time away. It is a stark contrast to the OLD NAIA which shows no love for them welcoming parties. The ceiling is high you feel like you are at the atrium of Megamall looking up only this one, there is just one floor level.

I took some time to absorb where I was during that particular instance. I was in a foreign land, I was in Hong Kong! I was no longer in the Philippines and all that took only 2 hours. It was so quick and I traveled at nighttime that the reality of it didn't quite sink in even while I was on the plane. Maybe if I traveled at daylight where I could have seen the clouds and the surroundings as the plane was taking off maybe that would have upped the awareness level a bit. But the lack of visual references rendered by night travel dumbed down my senses and then just a few hours later all that came rushing in. The rush jolted me short of like someone shaking me across my shoulders telling me to wake up. The first screaming realization I was in HK was when I saw the HK skyline inside the plane but that was shortlived as the processes I had to go through upon disembarking swayed my attention. Now that all the protocols and distractions were behind me, I had all the time to fully soak in what my mind was telling me as surreal but what my eyes are refuting to be otherwise.

There were seven elevens, magazine stalls, souvenir shops, Ajisen Ramen. Stores that can be found in the Philippines are also there but the items they sell and the personnel and the customers and the tag prices all spell foreign. I went inside a seven eleven to try and get a first hand feel of Hong Kong commerce. The entrance to the store was kinda narrow and I had this big luggage with me. I remember my officemate saying that the criminal notoriety we are accustomed in the Philippines.....not there in Hong Kong! Especially in places where the expectation for civility is highest e.g. airport security is not an isseu. You are more likely to lose your money via dumbness than be held up. Even my cynicism couldn't contain my desire to do a first which at this case-checking out the convenience store. I looked around and I saw passengers like me leaving their luggages outside cause there just aint going to be any way of bringing it in without causing a stir what with the crowd inside.

No comments: