Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Afternoon delight

As has been my practice in all the elections I participated, I voted late in the afternoon to get away from the thick crowd during daytime. In the last elections I came in 30mins before the precincts closed and voting then was a breeze. Same thing happened yesterday where I didn't have to queue in a long line of humanity shown in the TV broadcasts early in the morning. Maybe it also helped that my precinct didn't hold as much registered voters compared to the others where the voters had to wait for 4 hours in line. Mine took just about a leisurely 15 mins including the time spent asking for where my precinct was. I had to check my precinct number with the local COMELEC group located in the school stage and fortunately, there wasn't a long line there too. The guy manning the COMELEC database was incidentally my neighbor so I guess that jump started my voting day right not having to endure the so called COMELEC personnel from hell, a byproduct of the humidity and temperature being all time highs.

Despite this elections having the most to candidates to vote for, I didn't bring any list to remind me in case I end up forgetting any. I didn't intend to vote much in the first place. Of course I casted for the president and vice. The senators however was a different story as I didn't complete all the 12 available positions. I wouldn't want to be held accountable should the country go in dire straits with "lemon" senators so I voted only for three guys whose background and capability I can truly vouch.

If I dragged a bit, it was in the local posts where I had to do some recalling for the councilors. I didn't complete the list also but what caused the stalling was some councilors I mistook for the other because of similarly sounding names.

There were a lot of onlookers at the back of the cramped classroom which served as my precinct. They made it a little uncomfortable as I feel like they were peering to see my choices. They probably are representatives for the candidates allowed to be there to guard the ballot or observers of some sort. They were just too close for comfort that's all I am saying. Someone should put a fence to keep them a good distance away from the voters.

Overall, I proved once more that afternoon voting is your best bet to avoid the hassles that you're sure to experience in the morning. I have proven it time and again so I recommend it to everyone. Hope not too much will subscribe to the idea or it would be just like tilting the seesaw to the other side. I want my afternoon vote to be hassle-free that means you morning guys should stay there...stay put...my suggestion goes out for those who truly need the relaxed atmosphere, like the senior citizens and the like. :>

No comments: