Sunday, July 26, 2009

loving my Nokia E71 part 2

The Krussel leather case had a nice run until I finally figured out that the protection it promised was not all that it's cracked up to be. There was a major loophole, literally, on which the dust particles tunneled its way inside and that was through the square hole exposing the D-pad.

Despite using several stainless steel cleaning solutions, up til now, I haven't quite brought back the once scratch free metallic outlines back to its mint, fresh-off-the production line condition. It isn't quite as bad as I make it out to be but being an annoying obsessive compulsive fellow, my standards are quite high and at times, unrealistic.

I used a bevy of cleaning solutions from the very basic baking soda, to bananas, olive oils, and just about anything you can find inside your kitchen. When the cheap solutions didn't work, I bought a stainless steel polisher used for cars to clean its chrome parts. It did leave a squeaky clean polish that would make any military drill sergeant/inspector proud. The polished look will temporarily take your attention off the minor scratches but, yes....whom it would fool is you.

But I am the major critique. It is my discerning eyes which the polished look should try to fool or disillusion. But I am one tough customer and so long as I know, at the back of my mind, that there are scratches masked by the shiny clean look, then it just won't do. I won't settle for anything less than no scratch at all.

So I reverted to using the E71 comes-with-the package leather case. The phone slips right through inside easily and it is a fine looking piece of accessory, I must say. I set it aside cause I initially preferred a body hugging case that would protect the phone in case it accidentally slips or if something hits it. The default leather case won't do that round the clock as you'd have to take out your phone should you use it. It's just a slip-in slip-out case and not a 24-7 workhorse which the Krussel was(until I ditched it).

No comments: