Friday, October 17, 2008

Renovation!

Back in the PROC! Naahhh...doesn't come close to sounding like the Beatles' song of that other Commi country but I am definitely back in China. It's not like I'm the best guy around to do the job reason why I am here. Our boss could pluck any of us 8 minus the worry of anyone fucking things up but I guess what went in my favor was my being single. Most of my co workers, at their age, are expectedly either married or BETHROED(wow, bethroed is so archaic that free online and webster dictionary went bonkers scouring its database) and I stick out like a sore thumb for not qualifying in either case, well , that's another story. Anyways, just after exactly three weeks I was again whisked away to China by way of HK(for a day). At the plane, our friendly travel arranger got me a ticket at row 45. Quite unusual as she would always find us the best seats at rows 30-36 where it is closest to the exit. I wasn't complaining though. Any which seat is good so long as I will go to Hong Kong first. There was one instance where they experimented sending us to Guangzhou airport bypassing the usual one night hotel stay in Hong Kong. While travel time is definitely short, it wasn't to most of the traveler's liking. Cause Hong Kong is Hong Kong. While it is now part of China there is no denying the great divide it has with its neighbouring cities. However they try to say HK has already been turned over to the mainland, even I, a tourist, can tell that HK enjoys a much better sense of freedom and commerce compared to Shenzhen-which is saying a lot cause Shenzhen is one of the most modern cities of China. And the western flavor/vibe is very much alive in Hong Kong so there is the affinity factor which us Pinoys will truly enjoy what with us, despite several decades removed from American colonizing, still perpetuating the American lifestyle, entertainment wise at least. Driftin....off topic......derailed....Anyway, there I was looking at my ticket and finding out that I was on the middle column of three and the middle seat of three. So you can say I was middlesome....aray! Behind me, I heard a very soft voice which unmistakably was either that of a Lady or if I was truly indeed Mr. Hard luck was that of a well practised ladyboy asking me if I was on the middle seat. I turned my back ever so slowly and was about to cross my fingers hoping it wasn't the ladyboy and lo and behold, I finally nailed one. Years of being mr heartbreak commuter, finally I hit the motherload(no pun intended). I finally got a seatmate worthy of the long wait and it couldn't have picked a much better mode of transportation than that of an airplane. You see, in airplanes, there is this unwritten understanding that you are free to mingle, mix it up, share a talk or two with the person next beside you. You have all the authorisation stamped all over your face, your skin, your shirt like a Rally race car with all its sponsors.... all the authorization you will ever need to justify making a conversation to a perfect stranger. She was from my initial assessment, 5'5" tall, slender,

No comments: